Several things happen at night.

1) Msec runs it's security updates
2) If tripwire is installed it runs it's check
3) slocate runs to create the "locate" database
4) makewhatis runs to create the "whatis" database
5) Most of your services are stopped as ...
6) the logrotate job runs to truncate & archive the old logs
7) then your services are restarted
8) tmpwatch runs to clean the /tmp files
9) anacron runs to update time stamps
10)unused TeX fonts are removed
11)Inn Daemons run if installed
12)A postfix checker is run
13)News is expired
14)Unused modules are removed from Memory

All in all Linux is VERY busy at night...

-JMS