Mark,

It was my pleasure, I'm glad everything worked out.

When I first installed Mandrake I could't get my printer to work either-
it is a parallel port Canon 4400 which every piece of documentatiion says
should work in Linux.

It worked fine in windows so I was stumped.

One day as I was waiting for the LILO prompt after POST, I noticed
that my parallel port was set to disable ( this is the screen immediately
after the memeory check and hardware detection when you first turn your
computer on and it lists everything- irq's, port settings, etc-)I went
into my bios , enabled the parallel port and turned the printer on, booted
into Mandrake and  during the boot sequence i heard the printer initialize--IT
WORKED!!

I don't know if your solution to your printer problem will be as simple
as this, but it is something to check as you run down the list of possible
causes.

Good Luck

Eunice