I have seen this problem mentioned but hane yet to see a posted solution.

I have a NEC versa 4050H in a docking station that I am trying to get mandrake
7.1 installed onto.  There is an ne2000 compatible d-link D220 ethernet card
in the docking bay using resources 0x300 and IRQ 10.

I have written a boot floppy for a network install from boot.img and when I
get to the point at which it says "retrieving second stage ramdisk" it just
hangs.

The kicker is that I can get the install disk to work on another machine on
the same LAN. Here is some info on the two machines:

Broken:
NEC versa 4050H - P90 - 40MB RAM - 810 MB HD - ne2000 NIC

Worked:
Home built P166 - P166 - 64MB RAM - 4 gig HD - 3com 509 NIC

Virtual terminal on ALT-F3 reads something like:
copying ftp://192.168.1.1/mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/base/mdkinst_stage2.gz to a fd

Virtual terminal on ALT-F4 reads :
interface left promiscuous mode

again - this WORKS on the P166 but hangs on the versa.  I have gotten an
install of redhat 6.0 to work over ftp before, but I am stumped as to what
could be the deal here.  I am about to hack apart a computer for a CD drive to
do a local install but I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THAT!!

help :)

Tom