You could try to substitute who for w which works for non-root users under
the medium security install; however, it isn't quite as detailed as w ... see
man who.  You must be at a higher security level then medium because w works
for my users.  Did you try changing the permissions of w?  You can either
change the group setting to users (or some other group) or change w so that
"others" can execute the file.  See man chown and man chmod ... or for a point
and click method use kfm.  As a matter of security, I think I would change the
group to users instead of making w executable by anyone which would include
potential crackers.  HTH.

Larry