Benjamin....hmmmm....first off what's this doing in newbie?
Second, are you assuming that an upgrade is going to
partition/format the drive(s) or is there evidence that this
happens?

After all an upgrade skips the partitioning step.  You can't,
after all, upgrade a clean set of partitions that have no
system to upgrade.  Just because it's called automated
shouldn't make it wipe a system before it does the upgrade.
Thats rather silly.

Alan