Try installing "safely" by that I mean, don't configure any network or printers
(skip the bootdisk ect) Anything to get through the installer faster. Handle X
configuration after install. (I only give this advice on a very onry system).

I'd also suggest saying NO when it asks you if you have any scsi devices.
Chances are all of your problems are coming from one single peice of hardware
in your system. (Have you checked to see if your SCSI controller is on the
Linux hardware compatibility list?)

 Also duing the install you can hit CNTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to break
out of the graphical installer, hit enter a couple of dozen times then you'll
get a command prompt you can work with (VERY useful for recovering an
overwritten boot sector).

-David Talbot