hi ppl !

i am currently using mandrake 6.1 and i would like to update my working (!)
linux installation to ver 7.1.
now, is there a way to do it without wiping my whole old version and
reinstalling the new one ?...i would like to keep all my configurations and
working devices since it took me 6 months to get everything working.

and if this isnt possible.....is there at least a way to update to the latest
kde packages from mandrake ? ( i dont mean kde 2.0), i tried to update the
kdelibs, kdesupport and kdebase and got several unresolved dependencies, some
showed up  required files named libpopt.so.0, librpm.so.0, libGL.so.1 and so
on......now im asking myself : where shall i know the package this required
file is in ??......the reason id like to update is some error within kfm...it
crashes every now and then and this really sucks.......some posts on deja told
to fully update the kde packages to solve this problem but since kde 2.0 is
obviously not very stable i think i will keep 1.1.2..

thx for any pointer......

best regards

--dave