Something that might work is to make a 20 MB FAT patition and install MS Dos
and then the DOS drivers for the SB16 soundcard w/Panasonic CD drivers...and
try the DOS boot (might need to d/l the newest "autoboot.bat" image from
Mandrake) feature on the Linux CD.
HTH
Jaguar

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello, my name is Brian Preston.  I recently got a free install CD of the
> Linux-Mandrake 7.0 version of Linux.  I'm running this on a 486/66 and
> have a proprietary Sound Blaster/Panasonic CDROM.  After careful
> research, I have found two sources on the internet claiming that Linux
> supports such a beast.  This particular model is an IBM Multimedia Modem
> Plus with a Panasonic 2x CDROM drive model number 563, <--I think, and am
> pretty sure.  Bottom line, the DOS driver says it's for the 56* series.
> And the drive does work.  I am trying to install Mandrake as I was
> saying, but can't get the TEXT ONLY, VGA 16 installer to see the CDROM.
> When I choose the SoundBlaster/ Panasonic, I am given the choice,
> autoprobe <--which doesn't work, it "can't find that device anywhere on
> the system", or specify options.  I am then prompted with a sbpcd=
> command prompt with the words, IO, IRQ, and Name, I think...  The IO and
> IRQ I'm positive about...  But it basically is asking, where is it?  I
> know, through the process of using the DOS setup software for the card,
> that the CDROM is on IO base port 0x310, but don't know of the IRQ
> number.  How do I tell Linux to search the 0x310 port?  I need the exact
> syntax, because I'm terrible in Linux, as of yet, which is my reason for
> installing it.
>
> Also, as a second inquiry.  I also have an old 386 notebook, that is
> networked through the parallel port using a D-Link 620 adapter, (Which is
> also supported under linux) anyway, it does not have a CDROM, and would
> use the desktop's to install, anyway, I would you the network.img, right?
>  But still, when I boot the machine, the kernel is compiled for a 486
> with a math coprocessor, how can I recompile the kernel to run on such a
> machine, the catch being, in DOS or Windows 3.1, or would I have to wait
> until I got the desktop running, then build a boot disk with the
> recompiled kernel, then boot and install that way?
>
> Any help with my long questions, would be absolutely appreciated, and
> keep up the excellent work, giving us an alternative...  to WINBLOWS...
>
> Brian, (dmaul683)

> Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

The Dogma chased the Stigma, and was hit by the Karma.

http://webmail.netscape.com.