Have you tried the steps mentioned in Mandrake's Installation Guide, chapter
8: After Installation?

The guide goes:

in Terminal (as root)...do

# modprobe ppa
# mkdir -p /mnt/zip
# ln /dev/sd4 /dev/zip
# echo '/dev/zip /mnt/zip vfat noauto, user 0 0' \ >>/etc/fstab

This works for mine and still is.

The Guide also pointed out how to put a link to the zip drive on the
desktop.

1. right-click on the desktop and select New - File System Device.
2. in the New File System Device: box, put in Zip.kdelnk
3. click OK
4. on the KFM window, click on Device tab.
5. Put in /dev/zip in the Device box.
6. Put in /mnt/zip in the Mount Point box.
7. Put in vfat in the Filesystem box.

You can change the icon as well there.

That's it. Hope it helps you.

Have a nice day