Mandrake 7.1 seems better than the 6.5 version I replaced, but had the
identical problem with the display skewed left.  I simply reset the
monitor display and after about 60 seconds it "takes" and seems to be
holding.  I had to change resolution to 800X600.  Using Amdek 815E
monitor and Erazor Victory video card in 166 Mhz AMD K5 system.  Using
switchbox to move back and forth the monitor, keyboard and mouse to the
Windows 98 system and both handle the changes very well.  All displays
work just fine and dandy.  Go with the simple solution and try that
first before you mess with the LINUX files.  I did that at first, silly
me, with no success.

Don't make it too hard on yourself unless you like pain.  Hope this
helps.

B. B. Stanfield
KC5PIY