After weeks of fighting to get TurboLinux 6 to work correctly (too many
problems to list) I dumped it and went to Mandrake 7.1    What a difference!
In 2 hours, it was installed, the printer was working and I was on the
internet without a hiccup.  Now I can spend my time trying to learn Linux
instead of trying to debug a distribution.

What problems I have are so minor that I could live without solving them if
I had to.  But here goes:

1  When booting up I get a message about failing to detect the USB
interface.  That is because I do not have USB on this PC.  How do I stop
Mandrake from looking for the USB?

2. Even though numlock was selected to be on during install (I think), it is
not on when KDE is up.  How do I correct this?

3. On shutting dows, I get a message that it failed: "saving mixer settings:
error opening mixer".  What is that?  I do not have sound configured yet.
It is the one thing I could not get to work.  I have a Sound Blaster PNP Pro
16 with Interrupt 5, DMA 1, DMA 16 5 and MPU 330.  Even though I entered
these numbers, still no sound.  Any thoughts?

4. I have a PS/2 microsoft intellimouse.  Yet when I select it as the one to
chose (both as root and as user), the selection does not "stick" and when I
reopen the config tool I see that it is still at generic PS/2.  What am I
doing wrong?

Thanks for any help for these relatively "minor" problems.

Jeff Malka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Registered Linux user  183185