Want to buy a HP printer ?

This is what I received from HP-support: (received 06 jul
2000)

Thanks for E-mailing, Eric.

Thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's Customer Care.

I understand you are looking for a Linux driver.

Overview
--------
     Linux is a UNIX (R) clone available free of charge on
the
     Internet. There are also several distributors of the
Linux
     operating system including Debian, Red Hat, Caldera,
Slackware,
     and S.u.S.E. Linux is a true 32-bit operating system
solution and
     is becoming a rival to MS-DOS (R), Microsoft (R)
Windows and OS/2
     in the personal computer market.

     Hewlett-Packard is not supplying printer drivers for
the Linux
     environment at this time, November of 1999.

  ISSUE:       Most HP DeskJet and Professional Series
printers will
               operate in the Linux environment using
drivers supplied
               by Linux.

               Linux supports a wide range of HP printers.
If MS-DOS
               or some other operating system can access the
printer
               from the parallel port, Linux should be able
to access
               it also.

  SUMMARY:     Most HP DeskJet and Professional Series
printers, with
               the exception of host-based printers, will
function in
               the Linux environment using drivers supplied
by Linux.
               Hewlett-Packard has not written Linux drivers
for HP
               DeskJet or Professional Series printers at
this time
               and does not support printing in the Linux
environment.
               Performing a printer self-test should test
basic
               printer functionality.

Please visit our Hewlett-Packard Customer Care web site at
http://www.hp.com/support/deskjet for additional technical
and
troubleshooting information and the latest printer software
updates.

Once again, thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's
Customer Care.

NOTE:  Our advice is strictly limited to the question(s)
asked and is
based on the information provided to us.  Problems and
solutions may
depend on the nature of your system environment and various
other
parameters that are unknown to HP; therefore, HP cannot
assume any
responsibility or liability.  Please be advised that
technical
information changes as new data becomes available,
therefore, HP
recommends that you check back at our Customer Care web site
located at
http://www.hp.com/go/support regularly for possible
updates.
Hewlett-Packard shall not be liable for any direct,
indirect, special,
incidental or consequential damages in connection with the
use of this
information.