I understand that now but it is poor design. An index and data base of some
kind similar to DARE I SAY IT the windows registry or some other design that
has what is there would be what is needed. There is a long way to go here.

It does not take that long to upgrade a large AS/4000 with a new OS, and
there is a LOT more to depend on.

Thanks to the supersede/prereq/coreq ability of the PTF system.

Something similar and on a smaller scale is needed. It is totally ridiculous
and totally pour to take that lung.

An upgrade should ALWAYS take less time than a new install in a well
designed system in my opinion.
NOTE: I AM NOT saying LINUX is poorly designed, it is not BUT I am saying
that the upgrade process IS POORLY DONE.