On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 10:57:01PM -0500 or thereabouts, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> >  I am having a Dickens of a time with this supermount.  I am using the
> >  new Helium and either in root or my dir, yes I can click on my floppy
> >  icon and access the floppy disk.  However, if I want to use the floppy
> >  for anything else, say to make a mkbootdisk, I cannot access my
> >  floppy.
>
>                  mkbootdisk $(uname -r)

yes, I use this too.

> I get "not a valid block device" ... Or sometimes, I have to
> >  umount the floppy first and then mount it again. It varies. On the 7.0
> >  version of Mandrake, I did not have this problem.  My floppy icon
> >  could be either mounted or umounted, by right clicking it, or using
> >  the command line.

> >  What is the purpose of this supermount?  Why do I need it?  How can I
> >  turn it off, so that I can use my floppy like any other distro?

>    see 'man supermount', then do 'supermount disable'

thanks, did figure it had one on supermount.

>  I believe you'd be better off to learn how to use supermount tho.

Why Tom, if I use mkbootdisk, it will not work if I have supermount
installed until I umount it first.  The script for my mkbootdisk I
believe starts with mounting the floppy which of course is already
done, so it errors unless I umount the floppy first. The supermount
concept, to me, just doesn't make sense.  I have no control over the
floppy.

Regards,
Gary