Thanks for responding, I ran the commands you suggested and will list the responses.
But
first, I should repeat that I am using Linux-Mandrake 7.1:

#locate eepro100.o
/lib/modules/2.2.15-4mdk/net/eepro100.o
/lib/modules/2.2.16-9mdk/net/eepro100.o
/lib/modules/2.2.16-9mdksecure/net/eepro100.o

#uname -r
2.2.15-4mdksecure

#depmod -a
#
#reboot

Now when it starts services during boot at the networking section:

Bringing up interface eth0 Delaying eth0 initialization.

[FAILED]

Bringing up interface eth0 Delaying eth0 initialization.

[FAILED]

(at least the insmod/modules path stuff is gone)

Which reminded me that before this problem happened, I used the Mandrake Updater, which
automatically retrieves and installs updated packages/rpm's. I had read that Mandrake
advises against using it for kernel updates, so I de-selected the kernel modules and
ran the
updater. Unfortunately, it seems that the updater installed those modules anyway.

A look in /etc/lilo.conf shows the usual (for me)  2.2.15-4secure kernel, standard
2.2.15-4
kernel, and floppy. But, at the bottom is:

# Add by install-kernel
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-9mdk
            label=2.2.16-9mdk
            root=/dev/sda6
            read-only
            optional

# Add by install-kernel
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-9mdksecure
            label=2.2.16-9mdksecure
            root=/dev/sda6
            read-only
            optional

The "install" is highlighted in yellow, so I am wondering if I need to run the
"install-kernel" command or if the kernel has already been installed by the updater.

Any suggestions?

Victor