This seems to be a common problem; I have experienced it myself. I think it
may be a problem with certain BIOSes not reporting memory correctly to the
OS, but that's just a guess.

Anyway, one way of fixing it with Grub which I use is to edit the file
/boot/grub/menu.lst

In the file you will see something like:

title linux
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-secure root=dev/hda1 ide1=0xfff0,0xffe4
ide2=0xffa8,0xffe0

title linux-up
kernel.....

title failsafe
kernel....

So at the end of each line starting "kernel" add this: mem=256M

You should find that Linux sees all your memory.

Chris Slater-Walker