This is probably a silly question.  When downloading linux/unix files (i.e.
a .tar.gz or .rpm files) from the internet, is it safe to save them in a
Win95 directory?  Is there anything I should do to protect/preserve file
attributes/permissions?

I've got to do this on my home machine as I've got a Winmodem (I know, time
to get a real modem) and I'd like to confirm that I can update my Mandrake
distro safely.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Attorney, (n.)  A person legally appointed to mismanage one's affairs which
one has not himself the skill to rightly mismanage.
     Ambrose Bierce "The Devil's Dictionary"

Registered Linux User #180033