Bill Hudspeth wrote:

> Has anyone out there had a successful Mandrake operating
> on an AMD 500 CPU?
>
> TIA
>
> Bill
Bill:
Yes. I did a motherboard/CPU upgrade in June. (TMC A15VG/AMD K6-2-500/64
mb PC100/10.0 gb Maxtor [Win98SE]/6.4 gb Fujitsu [Linux]/Matrox
G200/Zoom 2919). I was running Linux Mandrake 7.0 then. Prior to
conversion, I ran fdisk/MBR -- I'm still very much a Linux newbie. Stuck
in new board and CPU. Everything ran fine. The neatest part was when I
booted to the Mandrake CD (I wasn't sure that I hadn't blown the old
install away) -- the whole deal took about a minute. About the only
glitch was that I had replaced my old ISA sound card with a Creative PCI
card, and there was a minor hassle getting Linux to recognize it. Last
weekend I installed 7.1. I chose the upgrade -- that took about 5 hours!
So far, so good. But I'm gonna learn more about making backups and Linux
configuration before the next upgrade.
So far as I know, the AMD K6-3 CPU's work, too.
-- Carroll Grigsby