Hi all:

My X windows in LInux has been dead for quite some time now and have not had
the time to fix it up however got the time today to try fixing it again.

Here's the info of my computer.

CPU: AMD K6-2 533MHZ
Monitor: Compaq MV520
Video card: Trident Blade3D (note this is integrated into the motherboard
and not a separate video card)
Vidoe RAM: 8MB (RAM is taken out from my computer RAM)

I have tried using XF86Setup before and it does not go to the graphical
setup. The message I get was:

....TransSocketUNIXConnect: can't connect: errno=111

Sorry forgot the first few words.  So I tried to setup using the
non-graphical mode.  I tried using the "Trident Blade3D" or "unlisted VGA
card" with the VGA16 server to no avail. I even input the vert and horiz
sync rates of my monitor manually still does not work.  The message on the
screen was "sync out of range" with some color bar and then the monitor will
just shut down.

HOwever today, XF86Setup started working (very peculiar). So I tried to
setup using either "Trident Blade3D" or "Unlisted VGA card" and input the
correct vert and horiz sync rates of my monitor with "640x800" and 8bpp
settings (lowest settings).  Then I got the message, "X server has been
successfully configured" with option to do "vidtune".

I did not do vidtune selected save to XF86Setup file. then on the console
mode I typed "X" and I either get the message:

....TransSocketUNIXConnect: can't connect: errno=111

or "sync out of range" then monitor shuts down again.

If I chose "800x600" with 8bpp the server won't start and just gives the
message "sync out of range" and monitor shuts down again.

Has this somthing to do with my "integrated" video chip?  The Trident
Blade3D is on the Linux list so I thought it would work but I suspect that
since it is integrated thus it's not working properly.

My other option is to get a new video card.  I don't want to spend more than
$120. My choices are either a Matrox G200 8MB AGP or Diamond Viper 550
16MB/32MB AGP video card.  Which one would be better considering that I also
use DVD's on my 'windoze'. How about 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 or 3dfx Voodoo 3
3000.

Thanks all.

edison