A few days ago I went through the agonizing (wait. . .) process of
upgrading from 7.0 to 7.1.  I bought the boxed set from Linuxland, the
"official" McMillan set, which in this case consisted of an installantion
CD, a sources CD, and an application CD.  I expected the wait, as I had
been following the threads relative to upgrading in this list.  I had been
warned about sufficient memory, etc.  I have a K6-2 450 and 64 mb of
RAM.  Still, the upgrade, when it came to the actual
installation/upgrading of packages, took over 6 hrs, and then when it was
99% completed, it froze at the point when it asked for the application CD,
complaining about the media being corrupt or some such.  It was late, and
my wife wanted to use Windoze, so I wanted to just get out of the
installation process, even thinking I might have trashed everything
already.  No dice.  The program would not let me exit, and none of the
secret handshakes worked.  So I hit the reset button.  Well, I'm not sure
how complete or incomplete the upgrade may have been, but my Linux still
boots just fine, and it gives me a mixed message, saying I have 7.1 Helium
installed, but also indicating that the old 2.2.14-15 kernel is
operative.  However, when I go to the /boot directory, I find that the
vmlimuz link points to 2.2.15-4mdk.  Since /etc/lilo.conf points to the
vmlinuz link, I have to assume that maybe the newer kernel is actually
booting.  Not sure.  But I do know that something filled up my / directory
completely in the process, so I had to do some shifting of sources from my
/home/src directory to /usr/src.  I have /usr on its own partitiion.  So,
I guess this is just some ramblings about what may or may not have
occurred when I "upgraded."  I think most stuff actually did upgrade
before the process froze.  I really didn't want to go through all the
configuration stuff anyway, as that is already taken care of, so it was a
good place to stop.  In future, I believe any upgrading will be
incremental.  If I want a new kernel, I will upgrade the kernel, etc.  I
suspect that there was little benefit to the "upgrade," and I wonder what
surprises await.  But we Linux guys like surprises to solve, don't we?

Don J.