Use wvdial.  Works easily on a command line.  Use
fetchmail.  Both programs can be run automatically as in the
.bash_profile (for fetchmail) and /etc/rc.d/rc.local
(wvdial).  Set the "inbox path" in Pine setup to
/var/spool/mail/yourname and you are in business.

http://www.google.com/search?q=wvdial&btnG=Google+Search to
search for wvdial and download.  I did this once from
Windows, made a C directory called Linux, downloaded an RPM
to that directory, then retreived the RPM from Linux by way
of /mnt/DOS_hda1/Linux.  Install the RPM.  If it complains
about dependencies (it did to me once) then use --nodeps
because it still works like a champ if you already have pppd
and the basic setup.  E-mail me personally if you have more
questions.

Phil