Benjamin Sher wrote:

> Dear friends:
>
> I have been using KDE for over a year now, beginning with Red Hat 6.0,
> then Linux Mandrake 6.1, then Linux Mandrake 7.0 and now Linux Mandrake
> 7.1. Very pleased, all in all.
>
> Yet, one thing that continues to mystify me is the Trash can. My KDE
> 1.1.1 manual tells me that you can drag n drop files from the File
> Manager into the Trash can. Well, that' s no different and actually more
> cumbersome than going into an xterm and typing rm file.xxx. Okay, I am
> willing to accept that as a graphical way of doing it.
>
> What I would REALLY like to know is if there is a way for the KDE Trash
> to function the way it the Recycle Bin does in Windows: that is, to help
> you save a file that you ACCIDENTALLY deleted. Now that would be
> something. In Windows 95 and above, any file you inadvertently delete is
> not actually deleted but dumped in the Recycle Bin, from which you can
> always retrieve it. Similarly in Win3.1, by using Sentry, you can
> retrieve lost files. Can KDE's Trash do the same? Will it be able to do
> it in KDE2? Is there any way to do this in LM 7.1? Does the new Reiser
> File System have anything to do with this? We all know how easy it is to
> inadvertently lose a file, especially if you are a newbie and especially
> if you have come from Windows and are used to having the Recycle Bin
> rescue you from your mistakes.
>
> If this key function is not yet available in Linux, it certainly ought
> to be. At least in my opinion. And especially for user-friendly distros,
> including the one I am using, Linux Mandrake.
>
> Thanks so much for listening.
>
> Benjamin
>
> --

Hi Benjamin, (I don't know if I mentioned it, but that's my son's name
also!)
I don't know if you've noticed but you can right-click on any file and
select 'move to trash' (it's right above 'delete').  Personally I rather
like that you don't have to first delete and then empty the recycle
bin.  You're actually creating the file again in another directory.  How
many times do you really need to be asked 'do you *REALLY* want to
delete this file???'

Have fun, Mike