If you hand-edit files you might learn something. ;)

If you boot the sys to runlevel five, you get the graphical
login.  There you may choose which environment you want for
the day.

After installing 7.1 I decided to play with a straight Gnome
desktop for a while.  I was in XFce so I switchdesk-ed to
Gnome.  switchdesk creates a file for you called .Xclients
which tells the xinit which desktop to start.

Yesterday I got frustrated with Gnome (too many seg faults
for my taste) so I switched back to XFce, the undisputed
Prince of X environments.  So I figured out to delete
.Xclients -- that allows the regular files (.xinitrc and
.xsession) to do their thing.  Fire up Emacs sometime and do
Ctrl-X Ctrl-F Enter.  You can scan all the files in your
directory and immediately edit the one you want -- easiest
editing solution in Linux I think.

Phil