[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Dear Steve,
>
> I have managed to successfully install LM 7.1 on the thinkpad. I got a link to a
> Neomagic X server which I installed and then it all went very well. It's now
> working with internal and external monitors and the sound is also working.
>
> Thanks for any help given.
>
> Best regards, Thomas
>
> "Steve Weltman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 02-08-2000 12:18:18
>
> Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> cc:    (bcc: Thomas Laurids Pedersen/Dan Net)
>
> Subject:  Re: [newbie] XFree problem on Thinkpad 600X
>
> I have had success with installing Mdk 6.1 and 7.0 on my TP600 *NOT* the
> 600X though.  I would suggest that you write down the devices when loaded in
> another O/S (such as Win95/98/NT) and you can then check the hardware howto
> on the web...This won't fix your problem, but you'll know exactly where the
> hardware issues are (if any).
>
> Next step would be to try an install on Mdk 6.1 (or RH if you like) and try
> an upgrade from there...Not as neat but proves the viability of your laptop
> for Linux.
>
> Let us know!!
>
> Steve Weltman

Great to hear!!  Now, I have a question for you...

On your ThinkPad, do you you have the ability to change your display settings
dynamically (ala CTL+ALT+NP(+) or NP(-))?  I am in the field and don't have my ext
keyboard, so I can't change the resolutions as I need them.

Also, how would one go about adding 'virtual' desktop space (such as a 1280 x 1024
size at 1024 x 768 res)?
I haven't figured out where to look for the new configx command yet.  Used to be
configx in 6.1, but 7.0 changed all that.

Confused and under-displayed!!

Thanks in Advance!

Steve Weltman
(from Beijing)