Sorry, no ping from Windows to Linux or 'Net, no Linux ping to Windows
box...:(
Shouldn't Linux broadcast continuously on eth1 to the hub?
Windows is only testing the broadcast IP from Linux, and YES I see lights from
Windows on hub channel 1.
If I plug the Cat5 from cable modem into hub the activity lights blink and I
can get thru the hub to the 'Net.
I have tried connecting from Windows to Linux server, the lights from Windows
flicker, but the eth1 broadcast server lights stay blank.
For right now I just want connectivity from Windows to the 'Net thru Linux.  I
don't want/need Samba for Linux <-> Windows.
Thx for the tips so far Greg.
Jaguar

"Greg Stewart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> (Jeepers, this got long!!!)
>
> OK, Lets see what we can figure out...
>
> >Cable modem into eth0
> >Linux eth0 IP 24.112.x.x (cable IP, n/m)
>
> This is good--having eth0 as the exernal IF is better at boot time. Less
> confusion for the system. I am assuming you can ping around the outside
> world with no problem.
>
> >Linux eth1 IP 192.168.0.1 n/m 255.255.255.0
> >eth1 set to broadcast on 192.168.0.255) Cat5 cable into server port on hub
>
> This looks correct, and I will assume you can ping from the linux box to
> either of the windows boxes. The Gateway on this interface should be its
own
> IP (192.168.0.1 )
>
> >Win98SE testbox IP 192.168.0.2 n/m 255.255.255.0
>
> Can you ping the linux box and the other windows box fromthis one (and the
> same from the other windows machine)? The gateway here should be
192.168.0.1
> (internal linux interface), and the same with your other windows box.
>
> >There is no obvious Packet activity from eth1 to the hub.
> >Shouldn't the hub lights "dance with pretty colours" even with ONLY the
NIC
> >setup to broadcast?
>
> Not necessarily... sometimes windows actually DOESN'T broadcast on a
regular
> basis, but it will not broadcast at all if you have not installed the
> NetBEUI network protocol. If all you are running on is TCP/IP, you have to
> initiate activity to see the pretty lights  :)
>
> With the gateway set correctly on your windows boxes, try pinging the
> internal interface of the linux box. (in DOS Prompt:  ping 192.168.0.1
> [enter]).
>
> If you get a time out error, there's something else wrong. A reply means
> good things.
>
> Now is where ipchains comes in...without it configured correctly, your
linux
> box will not pass any packets from the internal LAN to the outside world.
>
> Have you tried pmfirewall?  If not (or even if you have) let's try it...you
> can get it from www.pointman.org and it's free, and easy.
>
> in linux, su to root, gunzip and un-tar as necessary, and cd into the
> pmfirewall-1.1.4.
>
> Read the INSTALL and README files to get a sense of what's going on and
then
> we can get started here...
>
> at the bash prompt, in the pmfirewall-1.1.4 directory, type  (dot-slash):
> ./install.sh
>
> you will be asked for a directory, press [enter] for the default...it's
> fine.
>
> enter eth0 for the external interface, say yes to ONLY the services which
> you plan to run (if you're not sure, turn it off!) If you use chat/IRC/ICQ
> say yes to ident. I would definitely say NO to telnet, and YES to ssh, and
> install OpenSSH or sshd for remote console access.
>
> You will be asked during this process if there are any IP ranges that need
> unrestricted access, or need restrictions, you can select the default
unless
> you have specific needs.
>
> Allow pmfirewall to detect your IP.
>
> Say YES to masquerading.
>
> enter eht1 as your masqued interface.
>
> You are statically assigned, so say NO to DHCP.
>
> Allow pmfirewall to detect your IP.
>
> Accept the proposal to have pmfirewall start at boot (unless you don't like
> this).
>
> pmfirewall should make all the entries to scripts, and services, and
install
> is complete.
>
> at bash prompt, type:   /usr/local/pmfirewall/pmfirewall restart
> (Use the directory you chose in the first response if it is different from
> the default)
>
> Pmfirewall should shutdown, restart, and display your external/internal
> information.
>
> Assuming this all went smoth, try to ping the external interface of the
> linux box (24.112.x.x ) from the windows boxes. You should now get a reply
> here. (If not, something is still not configured correctly in linux.
But...)

> Again, assuming all went well:  get the DNS information from the linux box
> (cat /etc/resolve.conf) and ping (from the windows machines) the DNS IPs
> from resolve.conf. If you get a reply Great! You can now enter these DNS
IPs
> into the network configuration applets of your windows boxes (since your
> statically assigning IPs to your internal LAN, you need to statically
assign
> the DNS as well).
>
> When that's done try pinging (DOS prompt again) www.redhat.com (or
> anything).
> Ie:  ping www.redhat.com  [enter]   (sorry if this is TOO basic for
> you...but I also don't want to get over your head if you haven't had much
> experience in networking...)
>
> If you get a reply, DNS name resolution is working.
>
> You should now have a working masqued LAN.
>
> If things don't got quite so smoothly, keep track of what goes awry, and
let
> me know so we can work through it a little more.
>
> --Greg

> message envoye depuis http://www.ifrance.com
> emails (pop)-sites persos (espace illimite)-agenda-favoris
(bookmarks)-forums
> Ecoutez ce message par tel ! : 08 92 68 92 15 (france uniquement)

The Dogma chased the Stigma, and was hit by the Karma.

http://webmail.netscape.com.