Tom Brinkman wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> > My lilo.conf reads:
> >
> > image=/boot/vmlinuz
> >
> > which is a link to the new kernel. So I figured I shouldn't have to change
>anything.
> > Does lilo need to be rerun anyway? I'd really like to understand what goes on here.
> >

>    Read this whole page Cindy, it explains it all pretty well.
>
>     http://mandrakeuser.org/install/kupgrade3.html
>
>     The Mandrake kerenel rpms' make the changes to both grub and
> lilo.  Grub will automagically pick up the change on re-boot, but
> you must run '/sbin/lilo' (as root) to make the change to the new
> kernel if you use lilo.  With both it's a good idea to review their
> config files ('lilo.conf', grub's 'menu.lst') before rebooting or
> running  '/sbin/lilo'.  I always make sure my bootdisk is working
> also, in case I need to boot the old kernel.
>
> --
> ~~   Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Actually, I had a printout of that page in my hand as I did the upgrade, but since I
didn't compile anything and changed absolutely nothing in the lilo.conf file (Part 2
says
to rerun if you've changed *anything* in lilo.conf), it didn't seem like I needed to
rerun. I'm learning, though. Slowly. :-)

CindyB