QIII fps is better for nVidia products.  Tom's hardware just did a nice
write up on comparing the nVidia based chipsets ..  Sadly he didn't go into
great detail on how he reached his high fps scores.   Maximum Linux also did
a write up in their latest magazine issue. They also didn't discuss their
QIII settings. There were probably settings used in the demo (low picture
details, etc) that 'increased' the fps.

Taken from page 77 of the magazine

@640x480

Voodoo 3                57.7 fps
Matrox G400             70.6 fps
nVidia          96 fps

The differences are even greater for 1024x768

Voodoo 3                33.4
Matrox G400             44.7
nVidia Geforce  75.4

Hope this helps