On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> Now i know that this is not very usall, that is why i am going to tell you all.
> Right now we all know how windoze has better hardware support than linux,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   Nope! We all sure damn don't!!
   It's prob'ly apparently that way to most 'hands off' users, but
actually the reverse... very unfortunately, is the case.

   Windoze has been the most popular OS for the desktop by far for
almost 10 years now.  Among the pros and cons of this history,
particularly in the last few years, is that hardware has been
foisted on the unaware 'computing public' that is 'win' hardware.
It's not hard for windoze to 'better' support hardware, when the
hardware is designed solely for, or at least slanted towards
Windoze, and the manufacturers withhold or provide limited support
for any other OS.

   Most all computer users that vary from this 'win' computer/
hardware situation, eg, Linux users, soon realize not all hardware
is created equal.  First baptism is they find out their modem is
not really a modem, but just a board that has a place to stick a
phone line into. _IF_ you use it with windoze.  Next most familiar
plight is they find out they don't really have a printer, it only
works with Windoze.  What they prob'ly don't even realize, is that
their super duper 900mhz Intel Inside, brand new ready made ...
runs like a homebuilt 450, since the cpu/cache/ram/drives are takin
on the work load that 'win' hardware shirks and dumps on 'em.

   The problem goes a lot deeper than this. With the popularity,
advent, foisted upon ... however you see it... of the 'onboard',
'builtin' video/sound/modem motherboards (absolute junk IMO), users
of OS's other than Micro$h!+, soon find out that the manufacturer's
of this cr@p, either only marginally support, provide only binary
support (eg, Nvidia), or refuse to support any other OS but ... you
guessed it, Winblows.

      According to the DOJ, this has been going on because of
illegal arm twisting by M$. It's real hard (I don't know why they
bother) for Linux, BSD, etc., volunteers to try and write drivers
for this sub standard 'win' cr@p, when the manufacturers
won't/don't cooperate.  This is the real injustice M$ has caused.
__Not flimsy software... flimsy hardware___

  My point:  Windoze is responsible for lousy hardware, and lousy
hardware support, even by their own products. OS's like Linux and
BSD are doin a Herculean job, IMO, to do as well as they do....
which is often better than Windoze or NT can  ...amazing

   The result is ALL desktop computer users loose and loose big.
Marginal, junk hardware is dumped on the computing public. BUT,

     HEY!, "it works great with Windoze!"

--
~~   Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

well have