> On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> > Would    /etc/rc.d/rc.local     be a better place to put the line
> > "/sbin/ifup ppp0"?
> >
> > I believe a separate instance of bash exists for each user logged in with
> > bash as their default shell.
> >
> > --Greg

Thats a thought I might give it a try.

Each user including root has there own hidden bashrc file in their home
directory.  However a user cannot run the command ifup ppp0 or at least not on
my system, therefore I placed it in the, what I presumed was system wide
configuraton, /etc/bashrc as I intended it to initiate the dial up once root had
logged in and the getty handed over to the bash shell.

Would not placing it into /etc/rc.d/rc.local bring up the dial tone before
logging in and if so how would that work as no-one, not even root has
logged in?
I think I might try that and see.

Andrew