rpm can install and updrage packages from an ftp stie just like deb.

Try:   rpm -Uvh ftp.redhat.com/pub/updates/6.2/RPMS/etc/packagename*.rpm

as long as you have the directory tree correct it should take all the
"packagename" rpms and update accordingly.

Since I'm not "registered" with redhat, I don't have access to their
auto-update.

And, actually, RedHat has an unpdate utility.. you *do* have to register for
it, to have the priveledge, otherwise you need to use the ftp site/mirrors
and do things manually.

I don't believe you can use deb effectively on any other system than Debian.

--Greg

> In one of
> those I have a better distribution then yours discussion, i came across a
> debian user wich explained to me that debian add a better packging system
then
> rpm. aka .deb
> <P>
> let me copy what he add to say :
> </P>
>

> With .deb and apt-get, you just have to specify the name of the site you
want
> to reach that as .debs (there are many wich have complete collection) and
you
> simply have to send the command with the name of the software you whant.
It
> will download the good packages, and all the depending packages, then
install
> them and does a log off all that as happened. there\'s nothing more easy.
To do
> the same thing to upgrade the distribution with redhat (and the likes aka
> linux-mandrakes), you will have to play with many cd, bootdisk, etc ....
With
> the debian apt-dist-upgrade <name> (ex: apt-dist-upgrade woody) and thats
it
> you have the new version and all is upgraded perfectly.
> Better yet, with Alien you can convert rpm packages into deb. \"

message envoye depuis http://www.ifrance.com
emails (pop)-sites persos (espace illimite)-agenda-favoris (bookmarks)-forums
Ecoutez ce message par tel ! : 08 92 68 92 15 (france uniquement)