Since I got no response, I'm sending this again.  I didn't get an
"upgrade" option when upgrading from 7.0 to 7.1, and I don't want to spend
the time needed to go through this in expert mode if it can be avoided.
-Gary-

    How can I boot with grub into run level 3?  How can I change from 4.0
back to Xserver 3.x (I can hardly see what I'm doing!)?
    My son corrupted Windows 98 forcing a refresh install.  This completed
but screwed up Grub, making the HDD unbootable for Win or Mandrake.  A DOS
FDISK / MBR  solved that, as it would if it had been Lilo.
    Since I hadn't had time to play with my LM7.1 upgrade to realize I had a
problem with it, and I didn't have many programs installed in my new install
of 7.0 (forced to repartition for the upgrade to complete), I installed LM7.0
again, installed RPMs, and redid the upgrade to LM7.1.  I chose Xserver4.0
again not realizing the grey and blue horiz lines are not a feature but a bug
which makes the screen is nearly illegible.  I thought I could change this
when I configured my desktop, but it's a bug apparently with my Trident
Providia 9865 video card, rather than a feature.
    How can I change back, especially since the screen is nearly illegible?
Yes, Xserver 3.x is on the drive.
    Thank you for helping me not to have to do this again!        -Gary-