Joan,

Nice to hear your experiences with Linux thus far have been mainly good!  I
too had serious problems with printer support, but if you buy the boxed
version of Mandrake - I think you need the "super deluxe" full version - you
get a program called ESP Print Pro (CUPS) included.  However, I'm not sure
if this is actually a licensed version in the box, or you have to buy that
seperately.  Either way, this program is a *superb* printer tool, giving you
much the same list of "drivers" (actually postscripts filters) for printers
as you would have under Windows.

Unfortunately, having just checked their website, your particular model of
Lexmark is not support yet - Easy Software Products is asking that you lobby
Lexmark with a simple polite letter asking that they supply information to
third party software developers such as themselves to help them develop
drivers for your model.  If this process had worked however, they offer the
full product for USD 49 (if you download it).

The Postscript Level 3 RIP included in this system is absolutely incredible!
It has to be seen to be believed.  I hope this information helps you in
considering a new print solution.

Mark.