Title: RE: [newbie] error on boot-up

Try one last thing, at the prompt, type just linux  or just failsafe and hit return. That about uses up my help knowledge on this subject  J

-----Original Message-----
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Marcia Waller
Sent:   Monday, August 28, 2000 11:56 AM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: [newbie] error on boot-up

Dear Paul, Alan, Mark, Thank you for your help. I would definitely agree
that my system is stalling as it's attempting to mount the 'root' file
system in read/write mode.

 I typed the' linux single' and it made no difference. I have not found a
way to get to a console or linuxconf.

 I have read and tried many things and none have worked. I suppose you have
to choose Grub at installation and it is a little late now.

The failsafe did not work with LILO that is for sure. Would I be better off
totally reinstalling Linux Mandrake 7.0? I did do the upgrade install and
that did not change anything either.

I suspect that I did something incorrectly in the fstab file since I was
working on that for the zip drive just before I had problems. I touched
nothing but the zip drive entry. I have been working on that for awhile
trying to get it to work and that never hurt anything before plus it did not
get my zip to work either:)

Thank you for your help. I may just try to start over if I can.

If I decide to reinstall how would I use grub instead?

I appreciate the help. Marcia