I installed Mandrake 7 about 2 months ago on a Pentium II 400MHz with 10 Gig
IMB harddrive.
I had trouble with the install as soon as the system booted from the CD it lost
the mouse so I had to do the entire install from the keyboard. I could not
scroll down all of the install screens so may have missed some stuff at the
bottom of them.
Since installing it everything works fine except that I can't access the CD
Drive attempting to cd /mnt/cdrom or ls /mnt/cdrom returns Input / output error
Makes no difference if you are logged in as user or root, if the drive has a CD
in it or not or even if the drive is open or closed.
The CD is mounted and can be unmounted so that is not the problem.
Using KFM and clicking on the CD Icon on the desk top returns could not list
directory contents file /mnt/cdrom as it trys to spin up the floppy drive. this
is of course logical as it is looking in the wrong place. I presume the fault
is in fstab I don't know a lot about it but I can't see anything obviously wrong

/dev/hda1 /mnt/DOS_hda1 vfat user,exec,conv=auto 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/DOS_hda5 vfat user,exec,conv=auto 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/DOS_hda6 vfat user,exec,conv=auto 0 0
/dev/hda7 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hda8 swap_upgrade swap defaults 0 0
/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount user,exec,dev,suid,rw,fs=iso9660 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

Any ideas would be very welcome.

 --  Regards,

Richard