On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Juvenal Flores wrote:

>hello, just got Linux up on my new comp after some problems, but as
>eager to test out my new monitor, I decided to try out 1024x768 but
>found out that, that is too small for me and would like to change it to
>800x600

Go into Xconfigurator and change it there, or edit /etc/X11R6/XFconfig86
and set the resolution to what you want as default there.

>and switchdesk on term doesn't seem to work anymore I get bad
>command or file name I know it's been a while since I was last on Linux
>but I think that's the command to switch the desktop to gnome from
>kde....

It should indeed be switchdesk. You can also select the window manager
through Linuxconf.
Or manually edit ~/.Xclients:

exec kde  # runs KDE
exec gnome-session  # runs Gnome