Hello
I was looking for some help with my sound card . I have 2 hdd's one is partitioned in half with <shudder> doze & /home whilst the other hdd is where / lives

my system is as follows :

PII400
128 MB ram
ATI 16Mb
SB16 Vibra (isa)

I installed drake 7.0 some months ago. initially everything worked perfect, then for some reason (seriel port linked) the system crashed, taking with it my mouse & kbd. upon re-start the X server was totally fubarred. After much fighting i gave up the struggle and re-installed.

Since the re-install i cannot fix the sound card prob. as suggested by fellow linux users i recompiled a new kernel 2.2.16 configuring for the soundblaster in the kernel compile. my problem has 2 parts.

1.    on the 2.2.14-15 kernel during boot up  i get the message :  device or resource busy
(pasted from dmesg)
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
sb: dsp reset failed.
YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen, Rob Hooft 1993-1996
OPL3 not detected ff ( i have no understanding of this... dont have one)

2.    on the 2.2.16  kernel i get cant locate sound module.

I have tried to run lothar & sound config in both kernels still no sounds :(
with the 2.2.16 kernel lothar responds with " error in modprobe"
with 2.2.14-15 kernel lothar responds with " device or resource busy" ( i cant see how its a conflict of dma as there is nothing else in the box to conflict with the card)

I have also got all the HOWTO that are sound related still no joy. i am left with the sounds or linux choice... heh its been so quiet here ;)

any help suggsetions would be appreciated

Slashdot