Its true, 3dfx's linux support for all of their products is excellent.  They
recently open sourced Glide!  I have been very very pleased with my 3dfx
purchases both voodoo2 and voodoo5.  The image quality made by their products
is exceptional in both windows and linux.  I cannot recommend their products
highly enough.

Abe

>===== Original Message From Anton Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =====
>Submitted 04-Sep-00 by Asheesh Laroia:
>
>> What about the latest NVidia chip?  Reviews I've read
>> (www.tomshardware.com) say they're faster.
>
>Until they stop providing binary-only drivers, no Nvidia chip is going to
>see the inside of a box I build.  Linux support for both the Voodoo series
>and for SB-Live! is phenominal.  The reason for this is the open source
>drivers.  The original driver from Creative sucked.  Might as well have not
>had sound.  Within a month of it being open sourced, quality was up to the
>standards people expected of the card.
>
>A binary only driver locks you into a particular kernel version as well.
>OSS gets around this by recompiling everything everytime there is a new
>kernel release (2.2 series).  But look at the poor souls who had Aureal
>sound cards and depended on binary only drivers for them when Aureal went
>out of business.  I'm not suggesting that NVidia is in danger of bankrupcy.
>I am suggesting that you're going to be screwed if they decide to stop
>updating the drivers.
>
>--
>Anton Graham                            GPG ID: 0x18F78541
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 RSA key available upon request
>
>"First things first -- but not necessarily in that order"
>  -- The Doctor, "Doctor Who"

Jesus saves,
Allah forgives,
Chthulu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.