This was a hot topic of conversation when I first joined the newbie list
:-) One of the best things that a new newbie <giggle> can do is go to the
archives and check and see if the problem you are having has been discussed
and probably solved.

With that said -- another excellent source of information for the newbie
is something that I refer to as "My Bible" and that is
http://mandrakeuser.org It has a WEALTH of information and has not failed
me yet. Here is the info on the your wheel mouse --

 First you have to edit '/etc/X11/XF86Config'. Go to the 'Pointer
Section' of this file and add
this line:

  ZAxisMapping 4 5

This tells the X server to treat the wheel-up and the wheel-down
movements as mouse                                   buttons (and that's
what they actually are). If you own a PS/2 mouse, change the line

                                  Protocol "PS/2"

                                  Protocol "imps/2".

Next look for the line

   Emulate3Buttons

Make sure that there's a hash sign (#) in front of this line (which
disables the emulation).

Now all that's left to do is to copy the file '/etc/X11/imwheelrc' to
your home directory and
rename it to '.imwheelrc':

  cp /etc/X11/imwheelrc ~/.imwheelrc

Restart X, run imwheel -k and everything should work fine now. If it
does, you should add this
command to your '.xinitrc' or '.xsessionrc' to have it executed
automatically on every X
startup.

Have a wonderful day!!!

Patti
Registered Linux User #184611

On 9/13/00, 1:36:14 PM, Mikael Bergsten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
regarding [newbie] scroll button on mouse: