Ok...here's what ya do. At the LILO prompt boot linux by typing the label
name that you normally use and add a number 3 to it. It might look
something like this:

boot: linux 3  <ENTER>

This will take you to "run level 3" which is the console login as opposed
the the X login screen. Log in as root and at the command prompt type:

setuptool  <ENTER>

This will start the console configuration utility that will allow you to
configure X-windows and get you back into X. A little tip about what NOT
to choose for your display this time would be definately do NOT choose LCD
because that is a laptop setting and explains perfectly why you've been
having such a horrible time getting x to run.

--
Mark
**  =/\=  No Penguins were harmed       | ICQ#27816299