Just take the $20-$35 and buy an inexpensive SB PCI soundcard.  Those
commercial OSS drivers are quirky as hell.  They have yet to solve some
problems for my OSS Yamaha driver.  I don't believe they are interested in
correcting a sync bug the happens when you watch mpeg files.  They told me it
was MpegTV's problem.  MpegTV.com told me it was OSS's sound driver problem.
So, avoid the potential headache and get that SB card which will almost set
itself up and will actually work %100.

Brent

"olof.liungman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Since I'm new to the list this may be common knowledge, but here goes
> anyway...
>
> If you can't find a driver for your soundcard, in my case ESS Maestro-3 on
> new Dell Inspiron laptop (Mandrake 7.0-2), check out OSS by 4Front
> Technologies (www.opensound.com). I looked everywhere but not even ALSA (is
> that what they're called?) supported this card. However, OSS did :). The
> software's not free but its only $20 or so, and you can test it for free.
It

http://home.netscape.com/webmail