>From: "Oliver L. Plaine Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: [newbie] Hacker on Licq
>Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:47:49 -0500

Hi, are you running a firewall, if not you should take the time to get one
set up on your box, configure it properly and this should keep people out,
although a good hacker will still get in, your firewall should alert you if
someone is scanning your system. Change your passwords to upper and lower
case with a mixture of symbols, even with this your password can still be
cracked but it would be a bit harder. If you are using icq or some sort of
messenger..beware, when talking to someone, you and that person have a
direct connection with each other, all that person has to do is run netstat
-n on the command line and bingo..he has your IP address..easy as that, from
there they can scan to see what ports are open on your system, hence the
firewall so you can guard those ports. If you are getting regular attacks
from the same person, you could be infected with a trojan, when you go
on-line the trojan that sit's in your machine will send your IP address back
to that hacker and then he will hack you again. This is just a brief
outline, there are many way's that it can be done. Personally i don't use my
linux box to go online as i don't feel it's secure enough yet, as i'm still
learning linux, i use my windows box cos it's like fort knox...if you get
mail from someone that you don't know and it has an attachment, don't open
it [delete it] for all you know it could be a virus, soon as you open it,
your infected...Oh yes, see all the stuff at the top of this e-mail, their's
enough info there for you to be hacked..worrying isn't it...by the way,
don't get the wrong idea...i'm not a hacker..i just study alot.

     Hope this helps...Bye.