Hi --

I had a similar problem, also a Linksys card (although a different one) and a Toshiba
Satellite (again a different one) and largely
solved it.  The secret was to make sure PCMCIA was loaded.  Once it was, the system
recognized the card as a PCMCIA
network card -- not as the driver that supposedly corresponded to it.  Try loading
PCMCIA and not specifying the network driver.