Not a stupid question as I generally bumble thru
Linux. PM firewall wrote the rules.  I answered all
the questions as the default except for the one about
getting IP from DHCP.  It is set up to run on eth0. I
did have my host.deny set to All:  All.  I deleted
this and still no response.  I set the security
setting in 7.1 as medium.  There was no security
setting for 6.1.
Ironically I can ping the machine with internet over
the internet from my office.

I've included an edited selection of rules.  I can't
see where it should block the internal network.

#!/bin/sh
# pmfirewall.rules.local
# ver.PM1 (do not remove this line)

                   ### BEGIN SYSTEM DEFAULTS ###

# Block Nonroutable IP's from entering on the External
Interface
$IPCHAINS -A input -j DENY -s 10.0.0.0/8 -d $OUTERNET
-i $OUTERIF
$IPCHAINS -A input -j DENY -s 127.0.0.0/8 -d $OUTERNET
-i $OUTERIF
$IPCHAINS -A input -j DENY -s 172.16.0.0/12 -d
$OUTERNET -i $OUTERIF
$IPCHAINS -A input -j DENY -s 192.168.0.0/16 -d
$OUTERNET -i $OUTERIF

#!/bin/sh
# pmfirewall.conf - used by pmfirewall package
IPCHAINS=/sbin/ipchains
ATBOOT=1
CONFIG_DIR=/usr/local/pmfirewall
OUTERIF=eth0
REMOTENET=0/0
OUTERIP=`ifconfig $OUTERIF | grep inet | cut -d : -f 2
| cut -d \  -f 1`
OUTERMASK=`ifconfig $OUTERIF | grep Mas | cut -d : -f
4`
OUTERNET=$OUTERIP/$OUTERMASK

                           #### EXAMPLES ###

### ALLOWED NETWORKS
# Add in any rules to specifically allow connections
from hosts/nets that
# would otherwise be blocked.
#$IPCHAINS -A input -s [trusted host/net] -d $OUTERNET
<ports> -j ACCEPT

### BLOCKED NETWORKS
# Add in any rules to specifically block connections
from hosts/nets that
# have been known to cause problems. These packets are
logged.
#$IPCHAINS -A input -s [banned host/net] -d $OUTERNET
<ports> -j DENY -l

### BLOCK ICMP ATTACKS
#
#$IPCHAINS -A input -b -i $OUTERIF -p icmp -s
[host/net] -d $OUTERNET -j DENY -l