This has been a very frustrating problem.

I am running a VERY simply configured web server.  I use it specifically
to be able to use Neomail to check my e-mail remotely when there is no
mail clients I can use.

HOWEVER, caution dictates that I not use regular Apache to send my
unencrypted password over the internet, because well...that seems kind
of stupid to me :-)

Anyway, I downloaded and installed Apache SSL.  NOT mod_SSL, but Apache
SSL.

I generated my test certificate and fired it up.  Then used Netscape to
connect to the server via https.  Netscape gets the certificate ok and
complains that it doesn't recognize the certificate authority.

After I go through the routine of accepting the certificate, NOTHING
happens.  The default index.html is not displayed.  If I try to
reconnect to the server, Netscape gives an error complaining that "the
security library has run out of memory"

This is very frustrating, as I have been struggling for a week trying to
make this work.  I have read every book and web page I can find, but
STILL nothing makes it work. GRRR.  There has to be something I have
done wrong, or a wrong key, but it just will not work.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  If you need more details I
would be glad to post them.  the error_log shows only the SSL messages
(no errors) and the access_log is empty.

TIA,
        Dan