Hi --

I got the same message from Netscape about the $SOCKS variable.  It left me stymied,
and I don't like being stymied.  I had to keep swapping back and forth to/from Windoze
in order to get my e-mails (sigh!).

CAVEAT:  I am a first-time install of Linux, not an upgrade;  if your /etc/resolv.conf
file is already in place (and intact!), please ignore the following.

I found my answer on a Netscape newsgroup, in the form of the /etc/resolv.conf file.
Mine looks like this:

domain centex.net
search centex.net
nameserver 208.6.232.10
nameserver 208.6.232.12

(modify the names & dot-addresses to fit your ISP, of course!...)

and, suddenly, Netscape was able to find the internet.  I am still grateful.

HTH.

Cheers!