Yes, you can strip the needless features from it.  Check out this page for
help:  http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/compiling/kernelcomp.html

In addition to the commands used on that page, you can try:

"bzlilo" - another automated lilo updater.
"make install" - moves bvImage and System.Map and updates lilo.
"make bzdisk" - makes bootfloppy for new kernel.

Good Luck.

Brent