John Alexander wrote:

> I am using 7.1 right now and I can't get past this
> error message!
> I have tried both the CD and HD install - I hear the
> drive load for a second and then this message appears
> and the system halts.  I have a fully SCSI system -
> and I had sever problems getting 7.0 installed.  I
> finally got it on - but now I am trying a fresh
> install.  (I am still in the playing around stage)
> The only reason for trying 7.1 was hoping it would
> handle my SCSI adapters/drives better.  For some
> reason, my CD-RW is causing all types of havoc.

> Anyone know of a what is causing this error message -
> remember that it still pops up when I am using th HS
> as the install - so I assume it can't be a CD problem

Actually it could be, but only because it's SCSI. Apparently the SCSI
support Mandrake uses for install is flaky. Go to Deja and look at the
threads I wrote in on COLS and AOLM for the details. I just got my first
Mandrake install to work today. Try a normal CD boot using F1, and enter
the following at the Lilo prompt:

        linux ncr53c875=safe:y

If this doesn't get you by, possibly adjusted for the U2W HBA, then jump
to the other consoles with the Alt-Shift-Fn keys and check out the error
messages for reporting back.

> My system is this:
> Tyan trinity 400 mobo with a P3-550 and 256MB HSDRAM
> I have a Tekram DC390-U2W SCSI controlling a Quantum
> 18G HD and a scanner.
> I also have a Tekram DC390 SCSI controlling a Ricoh
> RW7060S drive - this is where I am having problems.
> Tech support from Ricoh told me that I _must_ have a
> dedicated SCSI-2 card for the CD-RW,  So I got the
> 390.  But the drive still doesn't seem to function
> just right.

Gotta believe that dedicated SCSI card stuff is a lot of hooey unless
its cable length related.
--
A man of knowledge uses words with restraint . . . .
Proverbs 17:27 NKJV

 Team OS/2

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.members.atlantic.net