Never noticed the problem. I've used Grip to rip cd's from non-root users
before. Would think you could play CD's if you can rip them. Never tried.

*^*^*^*
Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sungod robes
 on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little
pickles at you? -- Real Genius