okay, my IDE CD-RW is acting up.  I have an HP 9100 IDE/ATAPI.  For some
reason, Linux refuses to recognize it.  Every so often I would be able to use
it, but once I rebooted I couldn't anymore. I have reinstalled Mandrake about
15 times and even installed it from the CD-RW.  My DVD works just fine.  As a
last resort, I tried removing Mandrake's "Supermount Technology" and opted to
mount removable drives myself.  My DVD mounted OK, my zip the same, but when
I went to mount my CD-RW,  it said "mount: The kernel does not recognize
/dev/cdrom as a block device (maybe 'insmod driver'?)".  I also logged on as
root and typed cdrecord -scanbus.  This was the error message I received "No
such file or directory.  Cannot open SCSI driver."  Another observation I
made:  whenver the CD-RW was working (the rare occasions) I would go into the
HardDrake configuration utility and listed under the category CD-ROM Drives
would be the following:
Toshiba SD-M1212 DVD
HP CD-Writer Plus 9100
Unknown (When I clicked on this it was identified as a SCSI device
(dev/scd0).  Perhaps it was a driver used for SCSI emulation???)

Anyway, whenever the CD-RW didn't work, I would go into the HardDrake again
and see the following:
Toshiba SD-M1212 DVD
HP CD-Writer Plus 9100

The unknown SCSI device disappeared.  Am I correct in my assumption that the
unknown device was a SCSI emulator?  Is this why my CD-Writer isn't working?
If it is a SCSI driver, how do I reinstall it?  Would updating the Kernel or
recompiling it help?  If so, how would I do that? Thanks for helping me on
this mind-boggling problem!
Joe, the one-week old Linux newbie.