I'm having trouble with backspace under X-Windows.  It works for
some apps (kvt, xterm), but not others (emacs, rxvt).  When it doesn't
work, it behaves like "delete" instead - it deletes the character under
the cursor, when I want it to delete the character to the left of the
cursor.  And in those cases the "delete" key works the same way.  I'd be
happy enough to fix it for emacs alone, though I'd really rather know if
there's some X-Windows global setting I can use.

Thanks,
        Aaron

P.S. Looked like this has come up before in the archives, but there was
never a satisfactory answer.  "stty erase" does not work.  In all cases
things work fine outside X, and I tried 4 Window Mangers.